“The experiences in the Austrian capital were to leave an indelible mark on the young Hitler and to shape decisively the formation of his prejudices and phobias,” (26). The developing socio-political life in Vienna, particularly, engulfed Hitler and as can be interpreted retrospectively genuinely impressed upon him a model after which his future ideologies/endeavors were perhaps patterned. Kershaw admittedly writes the inherent ambiguity and perhaps lasting uncertainty concerning when in fact Hitler became a “manic and obsessive anti-Semite”(60). The mounting anti-Semitic feelings surrounding Hitler during his time in Vienna, I believe, serve as an indisputable foundation to his later profound abhorrence of Jewish people. The likes of the Viennese mayor, Lueger, and of course Schonerer played powerful and genuinely influential roles in his life. “But what he took from the Viennese mayor was Lueger’s command of the masses, the molding of a movement ‘to attain his purposes’, his use of propaganda to influence ‘the psychological instincts’ of the broad mass of his supporters. That is what endured,” (35). I found this particular quote to be intriguing and eerie at the same time mostly because the biography Kershaw presents us with suggests that Hitler, at least I believe, was always on the pursuit of recognition. I feel as though he always desired a sense of power because that would consolidate his existence, it would in a way prove his superiority over others and perhaps void the rejections he previously received or at the very least prove that these rejections were incorrectly handed. Thus, when reading that particular quote, I can readily imagine a young Hitler being captivated by this mayor who essentially had a way with molding the masses and moreover, their opinions. Lueger therefore served as a powerful influence strategically speaking whereas Schonerer played an influential role ideologically. Kershaw distinguishes Hitler's anti-Semitic feelings in Vienna from his later feelings in Munich, describing his feelings in Vienna to be more of a "personalized hatred" and later evolving into a more widespread ideology. I believe Hitler's presence in Vienna paired with his attachment to the city as well as the fact that Vienna was known to be one of the most anti-Jewish cities in Europe, all serve to credit Vienna as the place where his anti-Semitism formed.
Sunday, September 11, 2011
Vienna
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment