Saturday, October 22, 2011

The People of Northeim

Reading about Northeim, I think gave me a better insight into what Germany was like in that time period and why it may have been easy for Nazi’s to take over, especially in certain areas. For decent sized population in 1930, 10,000; there were only 120 Jewish people. The town also seemed very segregated by class structure, and really by how people thought of themselves.

I also found very interesting the amount of groups that Northeim had, at least 161 clubs, seems to be a lot for 10,000 people, one for every 60 people. I think it helps give insight into this idea of wanting to fit in and be accepted. And find a place for yourself. To have your own group, your own people, which I think Hitler really hit on those feelings that people had. Even the clubs were segregated, there were soccer clubs for middle class and another for workers.

Its also interesting to look at how the Nazi’s portrayed themselves as a whole. The average Northeimer, apparently saw the Nazi’s as vigorous, dedicated and young. Which is not at all how we would described them today. Its also interesting how they say that the average Northeimer would not be able to answer “who are the Nazi’s?”. Local Nazi members were not really known publicly, aside from one member, who was a prominent member of the Lutheran church. Thus everyone felt, “if he thinks its okay, then it must be.” They also really preached Marxism and class struggle. They fit in with the middle class way of thinking.

Looking at these little things I think, give great insight as to why the Nazi’s were able to take power. At the time I’m sure separately, maybe even in combination, they did not seem to be a big deal. But when paired together, and sold an idea you can kind of see why Hitler’s ideas took over. Hitler worked with what he was given. He sent his message in a way that the people could understand and relate to.

No comments:

Post a Comment