Thursday, October 6, 2011

Being German

Something I’ve found very interesting while reading Mein Kampf is Hitler’s idea of race and nationality and the strict ideals he has. He references “the blood,” stating that “a blood mixture brings about a change, which, however, means a lowering of the level of the higher race.” He speaks a lot of this narrow idea of what it means to be German, how selective it is. Which I’m sure makes it more appealing. This idea of being special and rare and that, that can make a change. He is feeding people this ideas, some more subtly then others about the downfalls others have made and how he has a way to rectify it.

Looking at this from a very American, a very now view. What does it mean to be an American? Obviously not that your people originated here or that you look a certain way. It’s your appreciation for where you live, its what you believe in. To think that he thought so much good could come from separating nations of people in flabbergasting. I’ve always felt that the biggest changes and the greatest things have come from collaboration, especially from people coming from two different backgrounds. The ability to gain a new perspective. And here Hitler is saying, no they need to stay separate; they need to “preserve” themselves.

He also discusses how a nations best defense is in its people, not in its weapons. And that these people be filled with a “supreme love of their fatherland and fanatical national enthusiasm.” Which I think probably really spoke to the people. After the Treaty of Versailles and the people finding that they lost and the country feeling a bit broken, I’m sure the people wanted someone to help them feel like they could come back again. Hitler says that “the parties lack the slightest idea of what the German people needs.” He’s really playing with people, not necessarily saying, “I know best” but suggesting that all those other people, they totally do not know best.

Also as a unrelated sidenote: I do not know what anyone else thinks of this book, but I find it so boring and difficult to read due to the fact that its so boring. While I know we will never know how many people read this books. Its strange to me that anyone would have ever read it on their own accord and then fallen for the make believe nonsense.

2 comments:

  1. I agree strongly with you that Hitler's mass appeal came from the German unification that he preached, the idea that a true German is special, and above the rest of the world.

    Saying that a nation's best defense is its people invigorates pride within citizens, it makes people feel like they are a part of something that has large impact. Especially when the German citizens were already feeling somewhat helpless in the post-war economy, battling runaway inflation and the embarrassment of defeat.

    Ultimately, it was the possibility of being part of an elite group that spoke to the German people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the concepts you brought out in this post. What I found especially interesting was the fact that Hitler made such a distinction between race and religion. His justification for the Jews to not be apart of the "German race" wasn't on nationality but on his views that being Jewish is a race. This is especially interesting that the German population also easily supported him on this view.

    I feel as if timing was key for Hitler. His moving words of patriotism came in a time of need for the German population. It was smart of him to say that the country stood strong because of its people and not the weapons it owned. This wording was ideal because German was practically left with no weapons after the Treaty of Versailles was signed.

    Lastly, to common on the side note, I also didn't find the book to be as moving or inspirational. However, I'm also not in the same mindset at those who lived though this era.

    ReplyDelete