As a math major, I registered for this class thinking it was going to literally be on comparing today's modern societies against each other. When the professor told us the true topic of discussion for the semester, I was slightly uncomfortable yet intrigued. I grew up in a very conservative suburb in Texas, and we were never allowed to talk about offensive or touchy subjects in grade school. Of course I had learned the history of it and the effects of its lasting imprints. This course was definitely interesting to say the least. I am a firm believer that history tends to repeat itself. This makes me believe that we should strive to understand the circumstances needed for good to happen and pay special attention to the bad so that it doesn't happen again.
I found a topic that we briefly discussed in our last class to be especially interesting to me: similarities of the South Confederates and the Nazi party. I had never thought about how closely related the two were.
One little piece of history that is still slightly confusing to me is that I realized that Stallin and Mao both killed more people than Hitler did, yet I feel as if those two slaughter houses are not as well known or notable as Hitler and the Nazis were. One point my friend brought up was that it might be because those two rulers didn't lose their wars. I was wondering what people's thoughts on that was.
In conclusion, I'm definitely glad I stuck it out in this course. It definitely has let me open up a little more with touchy subjects in history.
No comments:
Post a Comment